MCF Operation as of September 1, 2020
Safety Guidelines and on-site expectations for MCF Users
It will take all of us doing our part to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 throughout Engineering facilities including MCF. Compliance with the information provided in this guide is expected and failure to adhere to standards may result in disciplinary action. Updates will be provided as information changes.
All MCF Users or prospective users must complete these two courses via Train Traq if they need access to the MCF:
- Safe Practices for Returning to the Office During the COVID-19 Pandemic (Course# 2114131)
- Protocol and Certification for System Office Employees (Course# 2114130) Prior to entering the GERB building (where the MCF is located), users must:
- Check for COVID-19 symptoms (fever, chills or sweating, difficulty breathing, new or worsening cough, sore throat) and remain remote if symptoms exist
- Notify immediate supervisor of any conditions that would present cause/concern.
Upon entrance to the MCF, all users must:
- Adhere to standards/employee expectations posted at the facility entrance as well as lab doors
- Sign in at designated area with UIN and room number
- Sign out at the conclusion of the workday (include names of individuals you had been in contact with during your stay at the MCF)
- Wear face masks or acceptable face coverings when in common areas and within close proximity to other occupants and wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) in addition to mask/face coverings as dictated by any specific laboratory protocol.
- Always maintain proper social distancing (6 feet from all other occupants).
- -DO NOT congregate in elevator lobbies, kitchenettes, copy rooms or other open areas.
- -DO NOT get on the elevator if there are already two people in it. Wait for the next elevator or take the stairs.
- Individuals may NOT exceed deemed occupancy capacity of
- Individuals may not bring any additional chairs to the labs from other
- DO THE FIVE (wash hands frequently, cough in elbow, do not touch face, go home if sick and maintain social distancing)
- Report any COVID related health issues to Dr. Radovic (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Report any COVID related concerns:
Faculty – Faculty Ombudsperson: Anastasia Muliana (email@example.com)
Staff – Staff Ombudsperson: Nicole Pottberg (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Graduate Assistants – Harry Hogan (email@example.com)
Operating Procedures for MCF Users as of September 1, 2020
- Regular working hours: MCF working hours with MCF staff on the site will be Monday to Friday 8 am to 8 pm. Checked out users can make reservations for most of the instruments during regular working hours through iLab by themselves.
- Additional working hours: The MCF will also be open for unsupervised work (with no MCF staff on site) Monday to Friday 8pm – 8am and any time during weekend. Maximum occupancy in all MCF labs is limited to 5 users during additional working hour. To make reservations for work during additional working hours, checked out users should contact MCF staff in charge of the instrument they want to use at least 24hr in advance via e-mail.
- All MCF users must e-mail evidence of the completion of the two required trainings (Course# 2114131: Safe Practices for Returning to the Office During the COVID-19 Pandemic and Course# 2114130: Protocol and Certification for System Office Employees) to Dr. Bisrat (firstname.lastname@example.org). For instruments in Rms. 123, 123A, 143, 145, and 148 your reservations will have to be approved by MCF staff (including for checkout users).
- All Users may NOT exceed occupancy capacity of each laboratory during regular or additional working hours. Maximum occupancy for each MCF lab is posted on the lab
- MCF will provide training for new users only in the cases when all required safety measures can be implemented during the training. Users who need training have to contact MCF staff in charge of the specific instrument to schedule the training at least one week in advance. In the case the training cannot be organized, PIs are advised to assign another trained user for that project, and if they do not have other trained students who can carry out specific work, they can provide samples to the research scientists with detailed instructions for testing ( staff time for assisted work will be waived) to be done based upon the availability of
- Before coming to do work in MCF all users have to check for COVID-19 symptoms (fever, chills or sweating, difficulty breathing, new or worsening cough, sore throat) and remain remote if symptoms Notify immediate supervisor of any conditions that would present cause/concern.
- Users must bring their own pair of new (unused) lab gloves, face mask and safety glasses/goggles every time they come to the MCF and must follow the following steps:
- Always put you mask, gloves and goggles/safety glasses before entering MCF and always wear it while
- Clean your hands using hand sanitizers next to the kiosk and put your gloves before checking in. Sign in logbook with your name, UIN, check in /check out time, and MCF room numbers you intend to
- Login on to iLab kiosk, start your session before you swipe your card to enter the lab. If you prefer to start your session via your phone or use your phone for registration or Duo log-in, you must sanitize your cell phone before using it with sanitizing wipes available at the
- Do not touch your cellphone, your face or other parts of the body while wearing gloves in MCF
- Avoid touching anything in the lab that is not necessary for your work while wearing lab
- Once you finish your work, please clean all the surfaces you touched with cleaning materials provided in the lab. Please do not spray disinfectant directly on monitor, keyboard or Spray a good amount of disinfectant on a paper towel, and wipe surfaces (sample prep table, keyboard and mouse) and leave it to air dry (do not dry with paper towel).
- Log off on i-lab and sign off in logbook. You have to list names of all people you have been in contact with during your work in GERB, even if you kept 6 feet
- Remove gloves and dispose in the trash bins next to the kiosk when leaving
- All lab users should practice social distancing and stay at a distance of minimum 6 ft when talking to MCF support staff and other users in MCF
- Please communicate with MCF staff via phone or e-mail rather than face-to-face.
All MCF users are required to strictly follow all the rules/guidelines stated above regarding self-assessment for COVID symptoms, lab hygiene, and maximum occupancy while working at the MCF. Failure to adhere to these standards may result in disciplinary action and /or removal from the facility immediately.
Thank you for your collaboration.