Safety Guidelines and on-site expectations at the Material Characterization Facility: June 1, 2021
Beginning June 1, 2021, all MCF Users must complete these two courses via Train Traq if they need access to the MCF:
- Safe Practices for Returning to the Office During the COVID-19 Pandemic (Course# 2114131)
- Protocol and Certification for System Office Employees (Course# 2114130)
Prior to entering the GERB building (where the MCF is located), users must:
- Check for COVID-19 symptoms (fever, chills or sweating, difficulty breathing, new or worsening cough, sore throat) and remain remote if symptoms exist
- Self-checking is still required before coming to MCF – if individuals tested positive for COVID-19 or were in contact with person that tested positive, they should not come to the MCF for 10 days after the
- Notify immediate supervisor of any conditions that would present cause/concern.
Upon entrance to the MCF,
- Masks are not required but individuals are encouraged to have masks especially if not fully vaccinated
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) as required by the specific laboratory protocol
- There are no occupancy limits in labs anymore but individuals are advised to maintain proper social distancing of 6 fts and avoid gathering in large groups in labs and on hallways:
- -DO NOT congregate in elevator lobbies, kitchenettes, copy rooms or other open areas.
- DO NOT get on the elevator if there are already two people in it. Wait for the next elevator or take the stairs.
- DO THE FIVE (wash hands frequently, cough in elbow, do not touch face, go home if sick and maintain social distancing)
- Report any COVID related health issues to Dr. Radovic (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Report any COVID related concerns:
Operating Procedures for MCF Users: June 1, 2021
- Regular working hours: MCF working hours with MCF staff on site will be Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm. Checked out users can make reservations during regular working hours through iLab by themselves.
- Additional working hours: The MCF will also be open for unsupervised work (with no MCF staff on site) Monday to Friday 5pm – 8am and any time during weekend. Checked out users can make reservations through iLab by themselves.
- To be able to make reservation through iLab, users have to e-mail evidence about completion of two required training (Course# 2114131: Safe Practices for Returning to the Office During the COVID-19 Pandemic and Course# 2114130: Protocol and Certification for System Office Employees) to Bisrat (email@example.com).
- Before coming to do work in MCF all users have to check for COVID-19 symptoms (fever, chills or sweating, difficulty breathing, new or worsening cough, sore throat) and remain remote if symptoms exist. Notify immediate supervisor of any conditions that would present cause/concern.
- Users must bring their own pair of new (unused) lab gloves, and safety glasses/goggles every time they come to the MCF and must follow the following steps:
- Masks are not required (unless working with hazardous chemicals and agents) but users are encouraged to have masks especially if not fully vaccinated
- Clean your hands using hand sanitizers next to the kiosk and put your gloves before checking in.
- Login on to iLab kiosk, start your session before you swipe your card to enter the lab.
- Do not touch your cellphone, your face or other parts of the body while wearing gloves in MCF labs.
- Avoid touching anything in the lab that is not necessary for your work while wearing lab gloves.
- Once you finish your work, please clean all the surfaces you touched with cleaning materials provided in the lab. Please do not spray disinfectant directly on monitor, keyboard or mouse. Spray a good amount of disinfectant on a paper towel, and wipe surfaces (sample prep table, keyboard and mouse) and leave it to air dry (do not dry with paper towel).
- Log off on iLab and sign off in the logbook. Please list names of all people you have been in contact with during your work in GERB, even if you kept 6 feet distance.
- Remove gloves and dispose in the trash bins next to the kiosk when leaving MCF.
- All lab users should practice social distancing and stay at a distance of minimum 6 ft when talking to MCF support staff and other users in MCF Labs.
- Please communicate with MCF staff via phone or e-mail rather than face-to-face.
All MCF users are required to strictly follow all the rules/guidelines stated above regarding self-assessment for COVID symptoms, lab hygiene and lab safety as stated in the MCF Manual while working at the MCF. Failure to adhere to these standards may result in disciplinary action and /or removal from the facility immediately.